County Businesses Close Due To COVID-19 Concerns
Events Cancel Across The County
March 19, 2020
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, numerous institutions around the county have canceled or rescheduled services and events.
“Our local family deeply regrets any inconvenience to our loyal guests,” said Ronny Jones of Jones Theatres, who announced they’d be closed until further notice along with all other AMC affiliated movie theaters across the country.
“We have been part of the Shawnee community for 106 years. We will be back. Stay with us.”
AMC estimated the closure to last anywhere from six to twelve weeks.
The Absentee Shawnee Tribe decided to close their tribal offices March 16 for 48 hours to protect their employees and tribal members, “as we continue to assess the local environment and ever-changing local threat,” tribal leaders said on their website. “The AST Executive Committee is dedicated to protecting the health and welfare of our employees and will take each day on a case-by-case basis.”
The AST health clinics stayed open and will remain operational until further notice.
“With the casino closed, all events and promotions are postponed until further notice,” the statement said.
The statement said they planned on reopening April 1.
The Pioneer Library System has closed its branches until at least Tuesday, March 31. Fines have been suspended and checkout periods extended to Monday, April 6 for all physical items, regardless of type or original due date.
Items should be returned after that date. Customers who currently have materials on hold will be contacted by library staff about multiple options for obtaining those items. Readers are encouraged to use the library’s downloadable services available online at http://www.pioneerlibrarysystem.org/download.
As of 1 pm Tuesday, the Shawnee YMCA cancelled all group exercises, child watch services, and all sports and swim lessons.
“We at the Shawnee YMCA are doing our best to balance remaining open to provide a service and a relief with acting appropriately in one of our areas of focus, Social Responsibility,” the YMCA Facebook page said Tuesday.
All parties and facility rentals at the YMCA have been closed or postponed. The facility will close Monday through Friday at 7:30 pm, at 3 pm on Saturdays and all day Sundays. The pool will also be closed from 1-4:30 pm on weekdays. For more information, visit http://www.facebook.com/shawneeymca.
Other Cancellations, Closings
• Arts Trek Reception and Festival at the Mabee Gerrer Museum of Art. The Exhibition will still continue as planned and be open April 5-17. Visitors can still purchase artwork from the exhibition.
• Off the Wall at the MGMOA is rescheduled for Saturday, June 27.
• The Talk of the Town Concert at the Ritz of Shawnee, which was supposed to be April 4, is postponed until further notice.
• Citizen Potawatomi Nation Cultural Heritage Center is closed. Tribal members who need to access tribal rolls will be allowed to do so.
• Shawnee Little Theatre’s production of “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” which was scheduled to open April 17.
• FireLake Wellness Center
• First Church of the Nazarene (until Easter Sunday)
• Heritage Church (at least through April 1)
• Bamboo Garden, Tecumseh
• FireLake Buffet
• Grand Casino Buffet
• Bethel Acres Spring Clean Up – March 21
• Shawnee Redbud Festival – April 17
• Shawnee Downtown Block – Party May 15
• FireLodge Children and Family Services Child Abuse Prevention Walk – April 17
• Beginner Potawatomi Class Spring 2020 – March 23 through May 11 on Mondays
• FireLake Golf Course Mahi-Mahi Dinner – March 26: cancelled. Contact FireLake Golf Course to collect refunds on deposits.
• House of Hope has canceled all classes until further notice.
• Burnett’s Mound Exhibit Unveiling has been postponed until further notice.
• Craig Morgan at Grand Casino Hotel & Resort has been rescheduled for May 15.
• Pottawatomie County Relay For Life.
• Shawnee Mall — Closed until further notice are Bath & Body Works, Victoria’s Secret, Hot Topic, Buckle, GNC, Movies 6 & O’Fudge.