Second Death Reported in Pottawatomie County: April 10 COVID-19 SITUATION UPDATE
April 9, 2020
April 10, 2020 – A second death in Pottawatomie County has been reported due to COVID-19 today, with 25 positive coronavirus cases now confirmed in the county, according to the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH). As deaths and illnesses continue to rise statewide, local health departments are gaining additional technologies to help residents who may be experiencing mental health distress during the COVID-19 crises.
A Pottawatomie County woman older than 65 is among eight additional fatalities confirmed in Oklahoma today by the OSDH, bringing the total number of fatalities in the state to 88, across 61 of 77 counties. The additional seven deaths reported today include:
• 2 Oklahoma County: a male older than 65, and a female aged 50-64.
• 2 Osage County: both males older than 65.
• 1 Creek County: a male older than 65.
• 1 Garfield County: a female older than 65.
• 1 Pawnee County: a male older than 65.
Statewide, there are now 1,794 positive coronavirus cases reported, an increase of 110 from yesterday. On Thursday, 160 new cases were confirmed by state officials.
Efforts to equip local health departments with additional tools to help residents possibly in mental health distress, 81 sites will have access to iPads and access to the MyCare application for immediate assistance from specialists through the telehealth format.
"This is a great example of agencies joining together and using technology to provide essential services to the public during this COVID-19 crisis," said Commissioner of Health Gary Cox. "We know this is a difficult time for everyone in Oklahoma and we want to ensure we are helping connect those in crisis with the appropriate resources."
As an additional resource to the public, the disaster distress helpline is available by calling 1-800-985-5990.
Local testing for the virus is currently available at two area locations by appointment only. Call 405-395-0300 to schedule an appointment in downtown Shawnee at the Community Health Shawnee Family Medical Center, 130 N. Broadway, Suite 30. For testing at the Citizen Potawatomi Nation Community Development Corporation, 1545 S Gordon Cooper Dr., call 405-273-2157 for an appointment.
Additionally, SSM Health has begun offering free virtual evaluations at http://www.ssmhealth.com/StopTheSpread.
For a list of testing sites across the state, visit http://www.coronavirus.health.ok.gov/drive-thru-testing. For more information, visit coronavirus.health.ok.gov.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM OSDH:
• Families are encouraged to celebrate the upcoming religious holidays and spring festivities virtually, avoiding large gatherings, in order to comply with social distancing guidelines and avoid the spread of COVID-19.
• In an effort to reduce the burden on first responders and decrease their risk of exposure to COVID-19, the public is reminded to only call 911 for true medical emergencies such as trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, new confusion or being incoherent or having bluish lips or face. Those with other concerns should contact a medical provider.
• The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is working closely with partners at long term care facilities to ensure proper infection control measures are in place in order to minimize the impact of COVID-19 to residents and staff within the facilities.
• For a list of testing sites across the state, visit http://www.coronavirus.health.ok.gov/drive-thru-testing. For more information, visit coronavirus.health.ok.gov.
* This story will be updated today as more information becomes available.